Naturally sweet, calm, and in tune with their people, our Newfies excel as therapy dogs. Therapy dogs visit schools, group homes and rehabilitation centers providing therapy to individuals. The dogs are accompanied by their handlers (generally their owners) who have trained them and have been certified by an organization to provide this service to the community.
There are several organizations in our area where you will find Newfies and their owners committed to helping others:
- Pet Partners (formerly Delta Society)
- Therapy Dogs International
- Therapy Dogs Inc.
- St. Johns Ambulance Therapy Dogs (Ontario)
- Love On A Leash (The Foundation For Pet-Provided Therapy)
- Therapy Pet Pals of Texas (Austin/Central Texas & Woodlands/Houston)
- Heart of Texas Therapy Dogs (Dallas-Ft. Worth)
Willie and Isabelle Go To Washington (Story from 4th Qtr 2009 Newf Tracks)
Therapy Dogs – Training Your Dog To Reach Others by Kathy Davis