The Old West Newfoundland Club is a group of friendly Newf obsessed people dedicated to all things Newfoundland. Anything a Newfoundland was bred to do – water rescue, carting — plus therapy, nose work, obedience, conformation, dock diving, and whatever canine hobbies you find.
The club meets regularly year-round depending on the weather and activity/season. There are annual water and draft tests, members frequently spend weekends preparing. When possible we host a guest for a seminar. These are great weekends to meet like-minded people and learn what your dog loves to do.
Old West Newfoundland Club provides dogs and their owners:
- Instruction on grooming and how to train for various activities – conformation, draft, water, obedience, tracking, and agility.
- Education on health related problems with newfs
- A way to meet, socialize and become friends with other newfs and their owners
- General information on the breed and the national organization – Newfoundland Club of America (NCA)
- A network to rescue and place newfs who need a new home
- Encouragement, fellowship and enjoyment of our breed and each other
- Water and draft tests and supported entries in Texas
- To encourage and promote the health and well-being of the Newfoundland Dog through education
- To encourage and promote prudent and responsible breeding of sound purebred Newfoundland Dogs and to do all possible to bring their natural qualities to perfection in accordance with the breed standard as approved by the American Kennel Club
- To urge members and breeders to accept the standard of the breed as approved by the American Kennel Club as the only standard of excellence by which Newfoundland Dogs shall be judged
- To do all in its power to protect and advance the interests of the breed and to encourage sportsmanlike competition at dog shows and obedience trials under the rules of the American Kennel Club, and the water and working trials under the rules of the Newfoundland Club of America and eventually under the rules of the American Kennel Club if and when the American Kennel Club should establish such rules
- To conduct sanctioned matches, specialty shows, and obedience trials under the rules of the American Kennel Club if and when permission is granted by the American Kennel Club, and water and working trials under the rules of the Newfoundland Club of America and eventually under the rules of the American Kennel Club if and when the American Kennel Club should establish such rules
- To cooperate with and encourage the objects and sanctions of the Newfoundland Club of America, Inc. and to do such other things as may be deemed expedient and for the best interest of the Club
- To support and assist in protecting those displaced Newfoundland Dogs in jeopardy of life or health, through an active Rescue program in accordance with the Charter and Operating Procedures for the OWNC, Inc. Newf Rescue Service